Current Weather in Brasov, Romania

Saturday, June 1, 2013

Google Earth

We often use Google Earth trying to locate and mark the addresses of our members.  Last week we looked at our home in Lehi and the overhead satellite image was still several years old but when we clicked on the "street view" it had been updated.  We could see someone in our back yard and when we zoomed in, there was Elder Powell shoveling dirt in our garden.  What are the odds of being outside when Google Earth took the picture?  It was so fun to see our yard and house but it made us feel homesick.

While riding the bus the other day we saw the cities main cemetery.

It was Memorial Day back home and we were thinking of our loved ones that have passed on. We miss them. We are so grateful for the Plan of Salvation and the knowledge that we will be together again.







We stopped and walked through the cemetery, it was huge.


The graves all used the same type of headstone. The grounds were very clean and well taken care of.







They place the caskets in these cement vaults, one on top of another using the rails formed in the cement to support the caskets. They put three into one grave and then seal a cement slab on top. They don't cover them with dirt like we do. The graves are identified by a family name and then the information about each individual.






We had another branch activity this week. Elder Cobabe and Elder Collison gave a lesson about the Book of Mormon and then we did the activity. We had the Branch play Jeopardy using Book of Mormon categories. They really enjoyed it and we were surprised at how well they knew the Book of Mormon.






Sister Powell is having a bad hair week. We went to the "beauty salon" (maybe it should be renamed "haircut disasters") to get our hair cut. Sister Powell told the hairdresser one thing and she did the complete opposite. Another challenge of not being able to speak the language. She's decided to just grow her hair out - no more haircuts!





Oh to be able to relax so completely.

Wonder what he's dreaming about?







Elder Powell was under the weather this week with a head cold so we had a slower week. He is feeling better now and so back to work.

9 comments:

  1. Elder and Sister Powell, I still can't get used to the idea that you're leaving. Most members barely got used to you. We love you. I love you. Thank you for your top-notch support :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I decided to comment about the hair, when I read this about leaving? You are leaving? Anyway about the hair, I found out that if I take a picture with me it seems to works better. Since I can't speak with them the picture seems to let them know what I want. Hope all is going okay. Let me know about the leaving part. Take care we love you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not leaving the mission, but just found out we are being transferred to Brasov.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope I didn't spill the beans :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nope, The cat was already out of the bag. Love your idioms!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Di - your hair! I'm digging the faux-hawk look.

    ReplyDelete
  7. you get transferred, does this mean finding a new apartment and the whole works? Oh my goodness. By the way I love the hair. Color over here is a unique problem, I haven't had this happen but a lady in our branch has had her hair blue, she wanted blonde streaks, orange,she wanted auburn streaks. She has a great sense of humor about it and just deals with it. I have decided that short means butch hair over here. When you see the Baker's again say hello from us.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that you can see Glade in the yard on Google Earth! That is so neat! The grave yards are so interesting. What a great thing to do on Memorial Day. Mom, your hair, I'm so sorry! I can't believe you styled it like that and took a picture! That is hilarious! Hope it grows soon! Love you tons!

    ReplyDelete